Tuesday, August 5, 2008

JMET and DMS IIT Delhi


Time: 7:30 a.m. Place: C-36 Aravali Hostel. The alarm clock is ringing for the third time in the last ½ an hour, as it was snoozed on the previous two occasions. Thankfully this time I wake up. Oh my God! I am late again. I finish my morning chores in the next fifteen minutes. No time for breakfast, still I manage to have a couple of slices of bread en route to college. I reach the class just in time and get back to the hostel after a 3 hour lecture session. After lunch the classes continue till 7:00 p.m. Do I feel tired? No, rather I am even more energetic after the great lectures by some of the finest professors of India. The lectures are followed by dinner and a meeting with placecomm which lasts till 11:45 p.m. This is followed by working on assignments till 2:00 am. Suddenly my inbox shows a new mail which asks me to write an article for a magazine, and the mail has come from the senior who has not been generous looking at my packed schedule. I have to submit the article by 04:00 am. So I am able to catch on sleep only from 4 to 7:30.
Welcome to Department of Management Studies IIT Delhi. The account mentioned is a typical day in our life. Going back in time, the journey of admission to DMS started from August in 2007 with the JMET form, which was to be filled online. As I satisfied the eligibility criterion which was a “First class in Engineering”, I went ahead and filled the form. The syllabus was nearly same as that of CAT so it did not need a very special attention. JMET exam was on the 9th December, and as my CAT was a debacle I was left with no option but to perform. The paper had 150 question divided into 4 sections (English, Reasoning, DI and Maths). Along with the knowledge of fundamentals, speed was also an important constraint. Each of the sections had a minimum cut off marks which was not known to us. I just came out of the examination hall with my fingers crossed.
IIT people used to conducting JEE believe more in AIRs than in percentiles. In the results which were declared one month after the written paper I secured rank 173 with 61.75 marks clearing the cut offs for all the sections. Now we were required to apply into the IITs of our choice with an SOP. Fortunately I received a call from DMS for GD/PI. The moment I entered the campus, I was completely mesmerized by its beauty. You just can’t resist the desire to belong here after a single visit.
On the D day I got ready and walked to the DMS building. The candidates were divided into groups of 8. The topic of the GD was abstract “Nurture nature at what cost”. After the GD I headed for PI. The PI was a grilling session where I was questioned on my engineering subject, the projects I had done and some current affairs. I was lucky to have the dean of DMS in my panel and it was a great pleasure interacting with him. I left the campus with a strong aspiration to be a part of this B School and the IIT campus.
My hope transformed into reality when I received the offer letter from DMS to join its MBA program. It was not only signified that I will be an MBA but also brought me the coveted IITian tag all of us dream of.
Time flies here. Its been 2 months since I joined but it just feels as I came only yesterday. Here at DMS we are being taught by the finest faculties who command huge respect in the industry. Prof. P K Jain is considered the best teacher of Finance in India. I feel really lucky to be a part of this DMS family.

No comments: