Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Engineer. Are you sure?

I just got my final year marksheet. Pappu engineer ban gaya. I was successful in incrementing the total number of engineers this country has produced by 1. Ironically today when one of the professors asked me "Who is an Engineer?" , I looked at him as if he had said something in French or Mandarin. Actually I have never thought on this subject. This question was ignored right from the day I joined my engineering college. I am expecting to find the answer to this question in another 5-10 years. In the mean time I will avoid being referred to as an engineer. We are getting close to B.Sc day by day. I think the governement will one day end the B.Sc degree and we all will be engineers. Till that day the diffrence will continue to exist on papers.

2 comments:

Pranav Prakash said...

Luckily, i am one of those few people, who have spend a lot of time with Anvay, and after completing my engineering, even i am looking for an answer to the same question. Who is an engineer? May be, i will find an answer soon.

Unknown said...

I am not sure if I know....perhaps the activities that an engineer does, are always beneficial to some other person.
;-) There is no other trade as this. Decouple the profession from the biases due to increasing number of Engineering degree holders.

If there is ever a need for differentiation, go for the institute. We rarely ask which degree a person is doing , if he studies in St Stephen's. Isnt it ?? Its the institute taht matteres and not the degree....perhaps u can understand better.